Grahamstown Journal

Grahamstown Journal 1883 05 May

Tuesday 1 May 1883

DIED on April 21st at “Kop Leegte”, Bedford, Daisy, the youngest and beloved child of Alfred John and Annie McKENZIE, aged 8 months.

The Funeral of Mr. Donald ROSS M.A., late Inspector-General of schools, took place at Claremont on Friday afternoon. The hour fixed for the obsequies was four o’clock. And punctually at that time, says the Argus, the funeral cortège arrived the gates of the cemetery, where it was met by a number of people, many of whom arrived by the 3:15 train from town. The weather was rainy and dull. As the bells chimed the hour, the coffin was taken from the hearse and carried into the church in the cemetery, being preceded by the officiating clergymen, robed in their surplices, and followed by the mourners, and those who had come to pay respect to the memory of the deceased. The Rev E.G. HOLMES, Chaplain to the Metropolitan, officiated in the church and at the grave, being assisted by the Ven. Archdeacon BADNALL and the Rev. Mr. BROOKS. The funeral service was read, and the coffin was then taken to the graveyard, where it was interred with the customary solemnities. The coffin bore a silver plate, with the inscription “Donald ROSS, born 4th July 1841; died April 25th 1883” and had upon it many wreaths. The ceremony at the grave was a most affecting sight, many of the friends of the late gentleman being moved to tears, while the suffering widow bore up with a fortitude which, under the circumstances, was almost marvellous.

Thursday 3 May 1883

MARRIED on the 1st May 1883, in the Baptist Church, Grahamstown, by the Rev. J. Nuttall, assisted by the Rev. J.A. Chalmers, William, third son of Mr. A. FINDLAY, Ayrshire, Scotland, to Lydia, third daughter of Mr. J. SELLER of Craggie Burn.

The Funeral of the late Mrs. F. TAYLOR will take place tomorrow at 8am, to move from the residence in Scott’s Avenue. Friends are kindly requested to attend.
May 3rd 1883

Saturday 5 May 1883

MARRIED at the Residency, Emjanyana, on Thursday 26th April, by the Rev. W.M. Douglas, William Thomson BROWNLEE, R.M. of Qumbu, second son of the Hon. Charles BROWNLEE, to Annie, eldest daughter of Matthew Ben SHAW, and grand-daughter of the late Rev. Wm. SHAW.

DIED at Grahamstown, May 4th, Bessie, the beloved and only daughter of Donald and Elizabeth MACPHERSON, born September 28th 1852. Inverness papers please copy.
The Funeral of Miss MACPHERSON will move from the residence of her Father, Bathurst-street, tomorrow (Sunday) at 4 o’clock. Friends are respectfully invited to attend.
A. WILL, Undertaker

We beg to express our deep sympathy with Mr. and Mrs. MACPHERSON at the death of their accomplished daughter. Miss MACPHERSON had been in failing health for some time, and she had for many weeks past been confined to the house, the insidious inroads of consumption having slowly undermined her strength. She passed away very suddenly yesterday afternoon, a few minutes after the arrival of her brother in town, who returned from the Fields after an absence of several years. The deceased lady was known among her wide circle of friends as an artist of no mean ability, while her fame as a most brilliant pianist has spread beyond the town. It was a great treat for musicians to listen to her wonderful performance on the piano, and she was ever ready, until her health failed, to play at any public entertainment for the benefit of charitable objects. We are requested to announce that the funeral will take place tomorrow at 4pm, and that friends generally are invited to attend, though no special invitations have been issued.

Monday 7 May 1883

Yesterday afternoon great numbers of the townspeople testified their respect and esteem for the memory of the late Miss MACPHERSON by attending the funeral. The procession started from Bathurst-street, and was the largest witnessed since the funeral of the late Bishop MERRIMAN. The ministers preceding the hearse were the Rev. E. LONES, the Rev. J.A. CHALMERS, the Rev. J. EDWARDS, the Rev. R.W. LEWIS and the Rev. T. WAINMAN. The pall-bearers were Messrs. B. ATTWELL, S. CAWOOD, J.E. WOOD and C.J. STIRK. Then followed the chief mourners, Mr. MACPHERSON and his son, and a long procession of friends, many of them carrying garlands. At Commemoration Church the procession halted while the coffin was borne in, and Mr. LONES as he went up the aisle read the 90th Psalm and the 1st Corinthians, 16th chap., beginning at the 20th verse. Mr. CHALMERS then gave out the 842nd hymn, one which was a favourite of the deceased lady, beginning:
Father, I know that all my life
Is portioned out for me,
And the changes that are sure to come
I do not fear to see:
But I ask then for a present mind,
Intent on pleasing Thee.
After prayer the procession reformed and passed on slowly to the cemetery, where the Rev. Mr. LONES read the first part of the burial service, the Rev. Mr. CHALMERS concluding. The coffin was covered by wreaths of most beautiful flowers from the hands of those who admired the genius and respected the memory of the deceased lady.

Mr. C.J. LEPPAN Sen, of Somerset East, tenders his sincere thanks to the many Friends, both far and near, for their tender sympathy to a broken-hearted Parent, shown him during his recent great trouble.
“Mimosa vale”
Somerset East

DIED this morning, May 7 1883, in Donkin-street, Grahamstown, after a very short illness, Maria, the faithful and beloved wife of Charles H. CAWOOD, in the 41st year of her age. “With Christ, which is far better.”

Tuesday 8 May 1883

The inhabitants of Port Elizabeth, says the Herald, were much grieved to hear, on Thursday last, that Mr. Andries [LUTAGAN], of Wynand’s River, had taken his own life. It seems that the old gentleman, who is over seventy years of age, had been much troubled in mind about some business matters, relative to the sale of a farm by his son, and this preyed upon his mind. On Thursday morning nothing unusual was observed in his behaviour, but he was shortly after breakfast missed, and found with his throat cut near a [obscured] the farm. He committed the rash act with a razor.

Thursday 10 May 2018

BIRTH at Alicedale on the 4th inst, the wife of Skene GORDON M.B. and C.M., Railway medical Officer, of a daughter.

Wednesday 16 May 1883

A man named GRAHAM was this morning brought before the Magistrate (Mr. C.H. HUNTLY) to answer to the charge of having attempted to murder Mr. William GRAY, who was found on Monday morning on the line this side of Alicedale, insensible. The engine-driver saw him lying on the track, stopped the engine and picked him up. It was then found that he had two wounds on the skull, which had been severely fractured. GRAHAM, who is a young man, was last seen with Mr. GRAY. The injured man, who is the brother of Mr. GRAY of Sly Kraal, died this morning at the Hospital from the wounds inflicted. Mr. HUNTLY has received information from Mr. WILMOT, field-cornet, that he had secured additional evidence against the man GRAHAM, who has of course been remanded. Mr. BAKER, the assistant Magistrate, and Dr. DILLON left this morning for the scene of the murder.

Friday 18 May 1883

BIRTH at Grahamstown on Thursday 17th May 1883, the wife of Mr. S.D. CAWOOD of a daughter.

We, Somerset Advertiser, regret to record the death of Mrs. TUCK of this town, which took place on Monday evening last (May 7th). About three months ago Mrs. TUCK was seriously ill, and through medical skill and careful nursing she recovered so far as to be able to move about. However, about a fortnight ago, she was again thrown on a bed of sickness, and notwithstanding the best medical skill [presumable] and the kindest attention and care of her husband and friends, she breathed her last at 9 o’clock on Monday evening. The deceased lady was well known and respected in Somerset, where she had resided for the last twenty years, and deep sympathy is felt for the bereaved husband and family.

The Wesleyan Church at the foot of Russell-road on Tuesday morning last, says the P.E. Telegraph, was the scene of a very interesting ceremony which was witnessed by a very numerous and fashionable concourse of ladies and gentlemen. The occasion was the marriage of Mr. George MACKEURTAN, Manager of the Bank of Africa at Durban, Natal, to Nellie, only daughter of our respected fellow townsman Mr. George BIRT, senior partner in the well-known firm of Messrs. BIRT and Nephew. The bridal party made a very effective group, the bride being very elegantly attired in an ivory satin dress – trimmed with lace and pearls – while the bridesmaids, six in number, were dressed in cream moire with old-gold coloured chrysanthemums. We may mention that the bridesmaids were Miss JONES, Miss Amy FORDRED, Miss Edith JONES, Miss Ethel CLOSE, Miss Nancy CLOSE and Miss May NASH; the groomsmen were Mr. Ernest BIRT, Mr. Alfred G. BIRT and Masters Frank WALTERS and Percy BIRT. The impressive ceremony was conducted by the Rev. Mr. PRICE, and at its close the bridal party, and the numerous guests, who were almost exclusively members of the family, drove to Malvern House, the residence of the bride’s father, and sat down to a wedding breakfast at which the usual congratulations and good wishes were most feelingly expressed. The newly wedded pair left shortly after noon for Cadle’s, where they will spend a few days before proceeding on to Natal. We most heartily wish the young couple health, long life and every happiness in their future career.

Saturday 19 May 1883

MARRIED May 15th 1883, by Special Licence, at Russell Baptist Church, Port Elizabeth, by the Rev. W.H. Price, Mr. George MACKEURTAN, Manager of the Bank of Africa, Durban, Natal, to Nellie, only daughter of Mr. George BIRT, Port Elizabeth.

MARRIED at Peddie on the 15th inst, by the Rev. T.W GREEN, brother-in-law of the bride, assisted by the Rev. R.W. [obscured], Henry Francis, youngest son of the late Richard TEMPLE of the Nash, near Worcester, England to Priscilla Louisa, third daughter of the late Sydney SMITH, of Peddie.

Tuesday 22 May 1883

DIED at Grahamstown, May 19th, W.T. MOORE, in his 35th year.

Wednesday 23 May 1883

A Natal paper says that an unfortunate accident occurred to Colonel BOWKER, who is staying at Northdene, at the end of last week. He was out netting butterflies, when a black mamba dropped from a tree on to his hat. He drew back hastily and was in the act of raising the handle of the butterfly net to strike the reptile, when he overbalanced himself and fell to the ground, his foot being twisted under him and his ankle sprained. The mamba retreated to the bush. It is to be hoped that the gallant gentleman will soon be able to get about again.

Friday 25 May 1883

DIED at Grahamstown on Friday 25th May 1883, John SWAN of Port Alfred, aged 59 years and 6 days.
Norfolk papers please copy.
The Funeral of the late Mr. John SWAN will move from his residence, upper Hill street, at 3pm tomorrow (Saturday). All Friends are invited to attend.
A.WILL, Undertaker
Grahamstown, 25th May 1883

We regret to hear of the decease of Mr. John SWAN of Port Alfred, who died in town this morning at the age of 59 years. Mr. SWAN had of late suffered very severely from rheumatism and other diseases. The deceased, who came to this country about [40?] years ago, and has resided at the Kowie about 26 years, was an active man of business and a useful townsman of Port Alfred, and will be regretted by many. He was an old member of the Albany Brethren Society. The funeral will take place tomorrow at four o’clock.

Saturday 26 May 1883

BIRTH on Thursday (Queen’s Birthday), the wife of Mr. [John] HARTWELL, watchmaker, of a son.

MARRIED at Grahamstown, May 24th 1883, by the Rev. John Walton MA, President of the South African Conference, Mr. Andrew JOHNSTON, of Queenstown, to Harriet Stinton, only daughter of the late Mr. Georgius NEWTON-MASON of Walsall, England.

Monday 28 May 1883

The death was announced on Wednesday (says the Argus) of Mr. John PHILIP, late senior partner of Messrs. PHILIP Brothers, and one of our best-known and most influential citizens. Mr. PHILIP, who was a nephew of the famous missionary, Dr. PHILIP, was born in 1820, and came to this colony in 1841. He was for upwards of thirty years actively engaged in mercantile pursuits in Capetown, [largely] in the soft goods trade, but some years ago the firm struck out a new line of business and has lately confined itself almost exclusively to the importation of American manufactures.

The following is from the Fort Beaufort Advocate: Information was received on Tuesday of a very distressing case of suicide at Yellowwoods that morning. On Monday morning Mr. TAYLOR from Victoria East district passed through here on his way to Mr. BENNETT’s at the Mancazana, to which place he was taking his mother on a visit. The wagon containing Mr. TAYLOR and his mother was outspanned at Yellowwoods yesterday morning, and shortly after breakfast Mr. TAYLOR started off to inspect some fencing in the neighbourhood. Shortly before starting his mother asked him for a reim, and fearing that it was for no good purpose as the old lady had on previous occasions behaved very strangely, he refused to allow her to have one, at the same time ordering the wagon driver to gather up all the reims and place them in a place of safety. Mr. TAYLOR then gave the driver instructions to watch the old lady during his absence for half an hour. The driver sat down to eat his breakfast, and while so engaged he noticed that Mrs. TAYLOR was round by the back of the wagon. Not thinking of any likelihood of danger, the driver went on quietly with his meal. Having finished it he looked for Mrs. TAYLOR, but failed to find her. Scared, he made in every direction, with the ultimate result that the unhappy woman was found suspended to a tree near the Yellowwoods river. In order to accomplish the deed a piece of ordinary twine was used. It was reported that the deceased lady has for a long time been in a weak state of mind, aggravated recently by the death of her eldest son. Deceased was the wife of Mr. Joseph TAYLOR of Grahamstown.

Thursday 31 May 1883

MARRIED at Penderry on the 9th May 1883 by the Rev. E. Solomon, Edward Clement, youngest son of Mr. henry ROBERTS of Penderry, District of Bedford, to Fanny, youngest daughter of W. MACKENZIE Esq, of Tottenham, England.

The farm Stapleford, on the Sunday’s River, has just changed owner, Mr. Thomas FOXCROFT having sold it with the stock and everything else upon it to Mr. John Overton GARDNER for £10,000 sterling. Chief among the stock are 200 ostriches (20 breeders) and 1,600 Angora goats. The farm formerly belonged to Mr. Samuel ROBINSON. Mr. GARDNER has also purchased the adjoining farm Retreat, with stock of Mr. Charles ROBINSON jun.

Print Email

Newspapers elsewhere

Visitors to this site

So far today:So far today:108
So far this week:So far this week:3147
currently online: 11